Alumni Spotlight: A Year of Teaching in Hawai’i

by Maria Elser '17 

I didn’t always love learning. In fact, I used to hate reading, and writing, and school in general. But at 15 years old, in my sophomore level English course with Ms. Duffy, my love for literature and learning was born. After reading The Great Gatsby, I developed a deep admiration and interest in analyzing symbols, themes, plots, and characters. I reread that book twice more that same year just for fun. From that year onward, I knew I wanted to teach English and share my love for literature with others.

Fast forward a number of years, and I am in my final semester at Mount St. Mary’s University. After four challenging years full of stress, joy, sorrow, sports, writing, reading, crying and laughing, I was nearly ready to graduate with a major in English and a triple minor in Creative Writing, Theology, and Education. One slight stressor remained on my plate: What on earth would I do with my life after graduation?

After chatting with some older Mount friends, I heard about a number of teaching programs in which you could teach for two full years while earning your master’s degree – cost free!!! I immediately said, “Well, sign me up!” Many applications and interviews later, I found myself facing the easiest decision of my life: a program named PACE wanted to place me in Honolulu, Hawai’i to teach English Literature at an all-girl’s Catholic high school. 

Not only had I always hoped to teach English, but I also had a strong desire to teach at a Catholic school in which I could openly share my faith journey and experiences. This teaching position could not have been more perfectly tailored to the career desires I had been carrying for years. The head of PACE offered me two full weeks to think over the decision and get back to him, but I called back with a confident and unwavering “yes” just two days later.

As my first full year of teaching comes to a close this May, I reflect back on the challenges and triumphs. I can confirm that Hawai’i is an absolute paradise, but it certainly does not exempt teachers from having a stressful first year. As I transitioned from student to teacher in the fall, I was simultaneously learning to live in an all-new culture. I was adjusting to new roommates that I met just one month before. 

I was learning to time manage – juggling lesson planning, grading, graduate school assignments, new friendships, old friendships, adult errands, and personal hobbies. These many roles and responsibilities left me drained and drowning most of the year, but one thing made all the struggles worth it: my students.
I had never imagined myself teaching at an all-girls school before, but it has turned out to be the biggest blessing. 

As a 22-year-old first year teacher, I was a little worried that my high school students would not see me as an authority figure, but instead as one of their peers. I was relieved to discover quite the opposite was true. From the start of the year onward, we have formed this super unique dynamic as if I am their older sister whom they treat with great respect. They know that I expect a classroom environment that is positive, kind, engaged, and geared toward studying literature, and they meet that expectation to the best of their ability each time they step in the room.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of teaching at an all-girl’s school has been the opportunity to not only care for them academically, but also mentally and emotionally. Every other week, I facilitate a mental health check in where students can directly tell me how they are doing, without their peers knowing their individual response. This way, when students indicate that they are struggling I can reach out directly and offer support, even if it just means I listen to their recent life difficulties. 

So many students over the course of this year have explained how helpful these check ins have been. At the very least, it is a constant reminder that I genuinely care about them as a human being, and not just as their teacher with academic expectations.

More than anything, the lesson I am taking away from this first year of teaching is that I am on the right life path. While there have been days that are painful and draining, there are far more days that feel profoundly fulfilling. Not only does my job allow me to share my love for literature, but I get to spend my life emotionally supporting and caring for others. And when things get too overwhelming, there is no greater comfort than a little beach trip or adventurous hike on this beautiful island I can now call home.

Popular posts from this blog

Speech & Debate Team Reigns Supreme After Hiatus

A Clue As to Why Theatre is More Than Just An Extracurricular

300 Words: The Heart of a Black Belt